Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Heart Shaped Sharpener

Your fingertips run softly across my skin
Causing me to pull closer and draw in breath
You hold me in you arms
So softly
As if I were fragile or precious
Something rare and delicate
You kiss me and it feels as if you hold my life somehow
     with your lips
My eyelids flutter
As my fingertips trace the soft
Curve of your ear
You know I'm teasing you
And I giggle

I sit on the thin concrete wall
Suspended over four stories of empty space
And your hands reach out and pull me back
Keeping me safe
You tell me you'll never let me fall
I smile and lean against your chest
Letting your arms encircle my body
As I hold on to you
My last anchor
We spend most the night in each others' arms
Surrounded by strangers
But truly
We are together and alone
In our own world
Safe from outside intrusion

Suddenly I'm afraid
Afraid of losing this moment
And this night
Afraid of it disappearing into a catalog of memories
I'm afraid of losing you
Almost as afraid as the first night we said goodbye
You hold me closer and I'm glad
But as I lay against you
I realize I don't have to cry anymore
I have you
And I believe I always will

No comments:

Post a Comment